Winter Safety Tips With Chief Calvillo

Did you know that a house fire is more likely to happen during fall and winter? Do you know the necessary precautions to take to prevent a warm bedroom from becoming a charred one?

Cleveland Division of Fire Chief Angelo Calvillo is here to make sure your winter is a safe one.

Space Heaters

A space heater is an invaluable tool for a cold winter night, so long as they are used responsibly. It is important to keep space heaters clean, maintain safe wiring, and keep them away from anything flammable.


Chief Calvillo urges residents NOT to use stoves as makeshift heaters. Any kind of open flame poses an immediate risk to causing fires. In addition, stoves can accumulate a large amount of carbon monoxide into a household if left on for extended periods.

Electrical Outlets

One of the leading causes of household fires are electrical fires. Overloaded circuits are an immediate risk for causing electrical fires. Extension cables should remain in open areas and not be covered. While appliances like stoves & fridges should have their own dedicated outlets, even small appliances like space heaters should be directly plugged in as well.

Carbon Monoxide

Known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide (also know as CO) is a tasteless, odorless, and colorless gas. Exposure can lead to tissue damage and commonly death. It is important to have a carbon monoxide detector in the house. Should a carbon monoxide detector go off, immediately vacate the residence and call 911.

Fuel burning appliances and engines produce the greatest amount of carbon monoxide and it is important to keep them in well ventilated areas.

Having a plan in case of a fire can mean the difference between life and death. Establish routes and exits with your family/housemates in case of a fire. Be sure to keep your smoke detectors charged with fresh batteries. If you are in need of a smoke detector, contact the City of Cleveland’s smoke detector hotline at 216-361-5535.